Get Full & Fair Compensation for Medical Bills, Suffering, & Losses.
$229 Million Dollar Verdict. Largest Birth Injury Malpractice Verdict in US History
1. Personal Attention For Your Malpractice Case
2. Work Directly With 1 Of Our 17 Malpractice Attorneys
3. Pay Us Nothing Unless We Win Your Case
Over $500,000,000 in birth injury and medical malpractice verdicts and settlements won for our clients.
NO OBLIGATION CASE EVALUATION
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Minneapolis
Numerous people across Minneapolis seek medical advice from nurses, doctors, and other medical professionals every day. In many instances, patients require a surgical intervention to treat the medical problems they are having. Many people receive medications and medical devices to treat illnesses and ailments they are dealing with. Patients routinely turn to medical professionals for treatment options and advice because they are highly regarded as medical professionals with both experience and educational backgrounds to prove it. We want to believe that our doctors and other medical professionals have our best interests in mind. Unfortunately, there are numerous instances where patients do not receive the quality of care that they expect and deserve. Instead, misdiagnoses, surgical errors, and other mistakes leave patients to face devastating consequences. Numerous patients are left to deal with long-term ailments that require ongoing treatment and prevent them from engaging in the activities that they enjoy.
Patients who are subjected to medical malpractice are often left with overwhelming mental and physical pain and suffering. These negative consequences are further compounded by patients having to spend weeks off work to recover. In many cases, the financial consequences of lost wages and medical expenses can have a detrimental impact on both victims and their families. Unfortunately, a large percentage of victims who are injured by medical malpractice are forced out of work indefinitely. When patients endure these types of injuries, due to the reckless actions of a medical professional, it is crucial that they contact a medical malpractice attorney in Minneapolis at their earliest convenience to explore legal options available to them. Victims may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens they face as they move forward.
Our Minneapolis malpractice attorneys at The Malpractice Group have decades of experience helping injured patients get the justice and compensation they deserve. Our skilled and highly experienced legal team advocates on behalf of victims by assisting them in protecting their legal rights and best interests after being harmed by reckless and negligent medical professionals. Our team firmly believes negligent medical providers who engage in malpractice actions should be held accountable. Not only are we dedicated to helping victims get the justice they deserve, but we strive to safeguard other patients from being victims of medical malpractice as well through legal actions. After scheduling a consultation, our team begins immediately investigating for victims. Our legal team puts together solid cases on behalf of victims to ensure they are in the best position imaginable to protect their legal rights after being harmed. We provide aggressive representation while negotiating full and fair settlements to ensure those harmed are able to get the medical treatment they need to recover. Contact our medical malpractice lawyers in Minneapolis as soon as possible to see how we can help you.
How Do Lawyers Determine if Medical Malpractice Occurred?
Patients deserve the medical treatment that meets or exceeds the acceptable standard of care. This standard is defined as treatment that is comparable to what a patient would receive from a reasonably competent medical professional or organization under similar circumstances. When doctors, physicians, surgeons, and other medical professionals deviate from the acceptable standard of care, it can have disastrous consequences for patients. When patients are harmed under these circumstances, they may be able to pursue legal actions under medical malpractice laws. Some common examples of medical malpractice our team in Minneapolis helps patients with include:
Birth injuries: Obstetricians are required to follow standards and protocols during the pregnancy and birthing processes. Unfortunately, there are numerous instances where these medical professionals fail to provide an acceptable standard of care to patients. As a result, babies suffer from brain injuries and other devastating birth injuries that require extensive medical treatment.
Diagnostic Errors: Being diagnosed with the wrong medical condition can impact a victim’s ability to get the right treatment that they need. When victims are not accurately diagnosed, don’t receive a diagnosis in a timely manner, or a diagnosis is missed altogether, it can have life-threatening consequences for the patient.
Treatment, Medication, and Monitoring Errors: Receiving the wrong type of treatment or medication can have a detrimental impact on a patient’s ability to improve medically. Not only do they go without the treatment they need for their condition, but they can experience problems caused by drug interactions and various other complications.
Informed Consent: There are many instances where patients consent to a specific treatment, such as a right knee replacement, only to find out they went through something entirely different, like a left knee replacement surgery. When a person becomes the victim of an improperly performed medical or surgical procedure, they can suffer serious consequences that can affect them for the rest of their life, and, in the worst-case scenario, can result in a loss of life.
Anesthesia Malpractice: Patients who receive too much or too little anesthesia are at risk of sustaining serious and life-threatening injuries. Victims who are provided too much medication may go into a coma or suffer fatal injuries. Alternatively, patients administered too little anesthesia may wake up during their procedures.
Hospital Malpractice: When patients go to the emergency room, they often require immediate attention. When they are not accurately and timely diagnosed, patients can suffer irreversible damages and injuries.
Post-Operative Infections: After undergoing surgery or another treatment, patients are often kept in the hospital or in a nursing home facility for wound care. When doctors and nurses do not change the dressing or tend to wounds, patients can develop life-threatening infections.
Surgical Errors: Although doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals perform treatment and surgeries regularly, there are many instances where they perform erroneously. When doctors leave tools, gauze, and other surgical tools inside patients, they can sustain massive infections.
Patients who are harmed by medical malpractice should seek the assistance of a Minneapolis medical negligence lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that their legal rights are protected. Our team of lawyers is dedicated to helping injured medical malpractice victims understand their legal rights after suffering an illness, disability, or ailment due to the negligence of a medical professional. Our attorneys will review medical records, take depositions from doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals suspected of causing injuries, and perform various other tasks to ensure the legal rights of victims are protected.
Our Minneapolis negligence attorneys seek help from other medical professionals and forensics specialists who can review records and uncover any evidence of negligence. Our skilled and aggressive attorneys consult with other medical professionals with similar backgrounds to obtain a complete picture as to what went wrong.
If you were injured by a medical professional, and you believe medical malpractice occurred, contact our law firm at your earliest convenience to see how our team can help you protect your legal rights. The Malpractice Group is dedicated to helping victims injured by reckless and negligent medical professionals get the justice they deserve.
Medical Malpractice Involving Newborns and Infants in Minneapolis
A recent report showed that the United States has the highest infant mortality rate in the world and ranks third in postneonatal mortality. Over 28,000 babies suffer life-altering birth injuries every year in our country. Some of the most common conditions resulting from these serious birth injuries that our medical malpractice lawyers in Minneapolis help victims with include:
- Periventricular Leukomalacia (PVL): PVL occurs in cases where there is damage to the brain’s white matters, which surround the ventricles. PVL is caused by the deprivation of oxygen at birth, bleeds in the brain, and the transmission of infections to the baby from the mother.
- Intracranial Hemorrhages: Brain bleeds are often catastrophic in nature. In many cases, these injuries are caused by trauma at birth, including oxygen deprivation. Many brain bleeds are caused by medical negligence, particularly when doctors and nurses misuse vacuum extractors, forceps, and other tools during the delivery process.
- Infections: Sepsis and meningitis are two life-threatening illnesses that babies can suffer from during the birthing process. In some cases, these infections are transmitted to the baby from the placenta. These infections can have a serious impact on the health and well-being of a baby.
- Jaundice/Kernicterus: Jaundice is an extremely common condition at birth. When doctors fail to recognize and treat this condition immediately and effectively, it can develop into kernicterus. This is a dangerous form of brain damage that can result in permanent disabilities and injuries.
- Developmental Delays: Numerous babies suffer developmental delays as a result of birth injuries. Many babies suffer spinal cord injuries, cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, and other related injuries that can result in mental and physical developmental delays.
- Seizures: Traumatic injuries to the head during or immediately following the birthing process can cause a seizure disorder. In some cases, babies develop epilepsy due to oxygen deprivation and other injuries to the brain.
- Cerebral Palsy (CP): Cerebral palsy is a neurological condition caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. This injury often requires extensive medical treatment and has a life-altering impact on the mental and physical health and wellbeing of a baby. CP can cause problems with motor tone issues, motor skill impairments, and various other movement disorders.
- Birth Asphyxia/Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE): This birth injury is the result of oxygen deprivation to the brain. When the brain does not receive an adequate amount of oxygen, it can result in seizure disorders, developmental delays, and other life-altering consequences.
Birth injuries are often caused by medical professionals engaging in negligent practices while providing prenatal care, during the labor and delivery process, and other negligent actions while delivering babies or tending to them after delivery. These injuries can occur at any time during labor and delivery. Some examples of medical errors we see in Minneapolis include:
- The failure to monitor for signs of fetal distress
- The failure to respond to signs of fetal distress
- The misuse of Pitocin or Cytotec
- Not using forceps or vacuum extractors appropriately
- Mismanagement of problems surrounding the uterus, placenta, umbilical cord
- Not responding appropriately to abnormal fetal presentations
- Not taking adequate precautions in high-risk pregnancies
- Failure to properly treat a baby who has already suffered a birth injury
If your baby suffered a birth injury, and you believe it was caused by medical negligence, contact our qualified medical malpractice attorneys in Minneapolis as soon as possible. You may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens you face for long-term treatment and other damages.
The Burden of Proof in Medical Negligence Claims in Minneapolis
It is imperative that legal claims surrounding instances of medical malpractice are filed within the State’s statute of limitations. In Minneapolis, patients have up to four years to file lawsuits against negligent medical professionals. It is crucial to understand how important it is to file a legal claim as soon as possible. Doing so can help a patient by preserving their medical record and ensuring no information is lost. This places victims in the best position imaginable to protect their legal rights and get the justice and compensation they deserve from those who cause them harm. In addition to filing a legal claim as soon as possible, it is imperative that victims retain the assistance of a competent and knowledgeable Minneapolis medical malpractice lawyer. Lawsuits surrounding instances of medical malpractice are extremely complex. Accordingly, it is crucial to retain the legal guidance of an effective legal team with extensive experience in handling these matters. Our team at The Malpractice Group knows what courts are looking for, which allows us to help victims maximize their recoveries.
When filing a legal claim for medical malpractice, injured patients must be able to prove critical details surrounding their case. Injured patients have to validate that specific elements of negligence happened while they received care and treatment from the defendant. The burden of proof must straightforwardly show the following:
- A Doctor-Patient Relationship Existed: First, the plaintiff must be able to demonstrate that a patient and doctor relationship existed. Cases involving incidents in the emergency room are especially challenging, given the shortened length of the relationship. In any case, victims must prove that they received treatment, care, and medical services from the defendant.
- Negligence Occurred: After proving that the plaintiff received medical treatment from the defendant, the victim must further prove that the treatment they received sustained some element of negligence. It is crucial to note that every medical professional has their own idea as to what services should be rendered in any given circumstance. However different their opinions may be, the services that they provide cannot deviate from the acceptable standard of care. Quite often, attorneys utilize testimony from other medical professionals to prove that the defendant acted negligently toward the claimant.
- Negligence Caused the Injuries: After proving that the medical professional engaged in negligent or reckless behaviors, they must prove that the negligent actions were the cause of the injuries suffered. Victims must demonstrate that the inability to adhere to the acceptable standard of care caused them irreversible injuries or damages. For example, when doctors provide the wrong medication, victims can experience worsening symptoms because they do not receive the appropriate treatment for their condition. In cases involving cancer, this can lead to metastasis, which is fatal.
- The Injury Caused Damages: After proving the negligence caused the injuries or illnesses to worsen or occur, the victim must prove that they suffered damages. These damages are often related to lost wages, medical treatment, and long-term care required to treat the injuries or illnesses. In many cases, victims are forced out of work indefinitely due to their injuries. As a result, they lose years of income they would otherwise receive to support themselves and their families.
The financial burdens victims and their families face relative to medical malpractice are often overwhelming. Many victims are forced out of work indefinitely, which deprives their entire family of a source of income they have grown to depend on. When victims are injured as a result of medical malpractice, they need to seek the assistance of an aggressive and competent medical negligence attorney in Minneapolis as soon as possible. Those harmed deserve justice and compensation for their injuries.
Determining the Value of Your Malpractice Claim
Reaching out to a Minneapolis malpractice lawyer near you will ensure victims collect the maximum amount of compensation attainable for their legal claims. Those harmed may wonder how much their claims are worth. It is imperative to take various factors into consideration so you can better understand how much you can expect to recover. In Minneapolis, the amount of compensation that is recoverable for victims can be either economic or non-economic. Some of the economic damages victims are entitled to for medical malpractice lawsuits include:
- The costs of medical treatment
- The costs of long-term care facilities and therapy
- The costs of medication and medical devices
- Lost wages for doctor appointments
- Lost earnings for victims forced out of work indefinitely due to their injuries
- Household services
- Permanent disabilities
- Special damages
The second type of damages awarded to victims of medical malpractice in Minneapolis fall under non-economic damages. These damages include awards for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society and companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Although many states place a cap on the amount of compensation recoverable for non-economic damages, victims in Minneapolis are not subjected to these limits. The state of Minnesota does not limit the amount of economic or non-economic damages victims can receive from their lawsuits. Instead, the amount is determined by a jury after listening to the evidence. Working with a knowledgeable legal team will ensure you are in the best position imaginable to recover full and fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
If you believe that you or a loved one sustained devastating injuries as a result of a medical mistake or error, it is imperative that you contact our law firm in Minneapolis as soon as possible to protect your legal rights and get the justice you deserve. By scheduling a free no-obligation case evaluation at your earliest convenience, our team at The Malpractice Group can review the circumstances surrounding your care and determine the best legal approach to holding those at fault accountable. Although it is not always clear that medical negligence was the cause of your injuries or the injuries to your child during childbirth, our team is dedicated to uncovering the truth and helping you move forward after a traumatic incident.
After contacting The Malpractice Group, our team will get started immediately to help you protect your legal rights. Contact our law firm in Minneapolis at your earliest convenience to explore legal options available for you.
The Malpractice Group Can Help You
Patients who sustain injuries resulting from medical professionals’ negligence require ongoing medical treatment. Those harmed are often forced to suffer from debilitating injuries that cause pain and suffering. Many patients are left with lasting impairments that continue to affect their health and wellbeing indefinitely. For this reason, it is essential that these injured victims seek justice and compensation for their injuries.
Our skilled and dedicated Minneapolis medical malpractice attorneys strive to help these injured victims, and their loved ones, uncover the truth so they can get the closure they need regarding these very traumatic incidents. If the medical care our client obtained was not adequate, we will provide them with a straightforward view of their experience. If you or a loved one was injured by a medical provider, or you believe your injuries or illnesses were the results of medical malpractice, we can assist you in getting the justice you deserve from negligent medical professionals who cause you harm.
The Minneapolis medical negligence lawyers at The Malpractice Group pursue the maximum amount of compensation for families impacted by the negligent actions of medical professionals. Our negligence attorneys in Minneapolis recognize the challenges parents of injured newborns face. These distressed victims desire to have the ability to provide the best possible care for their child and to guarantee they are able to get the medical treatment they need to move forward safely and in a healthy manner after a birth injury. Contact our Minneapolis law firm today at (312) 561-4324 at your earliest convenience to schedule a free case evaluation to see how our team can help you get the justice you deserve.