Get Full & Fair Compensation for Medical Bills, Suffering, & Losses.
$229 Million Dollar Verdict. Largest Birth Injury Malpractice Verdict in US History
Baltimore Medical Malpractice Lawyers
1. Personal Attention For Your Malpractice Case
2. Work Directly With 1 Of Our 17 Malpractice Attorneys
3. Pay Us Nothing Unless We Win Your Case
Over $500,000,000 in birth injury and medical malpractice verdicts and settlements won for our clients.
NO OBLIGATION CASE EVALUATION
Medical Malpractice Due To Negligence?
Thousands of people all across Maryland seek medical guidance from nurses, doctors, and other medical professionals every day. On many occasions, patients require complicated surgery, are given medications, or require medical devices used to treat illnesses or medical conditions, injuries, and ailments they deal with. Quite often, patients seek medical advice from professionals because of their specialized knowledge and expertise about a specific body part and their years of education in the medical field.
As patients, we want to have confidence in doctors and other providers and believe that they have our best interests in mind. Regrettably, there is an abundance of cases in Maryland where patients are not provided the quality of medical treatment they need and deserve. Instead, they are exposed to medical mistakes, surgical errors, and various acts of negligence. When patients receive negligent and reckless medical treatment, they can be left to deal with life-altering consequences. In some cases, victims experience a worsening of their symptoms and various other negative consequences that impact their lives continuously because of these medical errors or negligence.
Patients who are forced to endure the devastating pain and suffering of medical negligence are often forced to spend prolonged time off work to recover. There are many occasions when victims are forced out of work for the rest of their life due to enduring the disabilities caused by these unpredictable incidents. Not only are many people left to endure overwhelming pain and suffering from these traumatic incidents, but their families are often forced to endure financial devastation as well. When patients are injured as a result of medical negligence or the careless actions of a medical professional, it is crucial that they reach out to a medical malpractice attorney in Maryland as soon as possible to explore legal options available. Injured patients may be eligible for compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens they face due to medical expenses, lost wages, and various other damages.
Our Maryland medical malpractice attorneys at The Malpractice Group have several decades of experience helping injured medical malpractice victims protect their legal rights and best interests after being harmed by medical malpractice. Our legal team advocates on behalf of victims to ensure they get the justice they deserve after being harmed by a negligent medical professional. Our attorneys believe that negligent medical professionals should be held legally responsible for their actions. Not only are we committed to helping medical malpractice victims maximize their recoveries after being injured by negligent medical professionals, but we strive to prevent others from being endangered by careless professionals.
As soon as a client has retained our office for services, we begin examining the circumstances surrounding an incident. We gather evidence in support of the victim, uncover any records of malpractice by the medical professional, and put together solid claims on behalf of those harmed to ensure they obtain the outcome they expect for their claims. Our attorneys aggressively negotiate full and fair settlements on behalf of victims to ensure they are able to cover the costs of medical treatment, pain and suffering, and more. Contact the medical malpractice lawyers in Maryland at The Malpractice Group as soon as possible to see how our team can help you.
How Do Lawyers Determine if Malpractice Occurred?
To determine whether medical malpractice took place, it is imperative to have a basic understanding of the term “standard of care” in the medical industry. In the medical industry, the standard of care is a set of standards that defines a reasonable level of medical treatment that a patient receives. This standard is set to define what a reasonable level of medical treatment is that a patient receives by comparing it to what type of medical care an organization or a medical professional with a similar background would provide to a patient under similar circumstances. When medical providers stray away from the standard of care, they risk causing irreversible harm to patients that can be life-altering or life-ending. Patients who are injured by medical malpractice may be able to pursue various legal options to recover compensation for their resulting injuries and damages. Some of the cases our Maryland malpractice attorneys have helped victims with include those involving:
- Birth injuries: There are many instances where doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals do not exercise the proper standard of care during an expectant mother’s pregnancy and birthing processes. As a result, the baby can suffer serious birth injuries that often require extensive medical treatment. In some cases, babies end up losing their lives due to some form of medical negligence.
- Diagnostic Errors: When patients are not accurately diagnosed, aren’t diagnosed in a timely manner, or not diagnosed at all, they can suffer irreversible injuries and damages. Many victims suffer worsening of symptoms and life-threatening consequences due to this form of medical malpractice.
- Treatment, Medication, and Monitoring Errors: Patients who are not accurately treated for their conditions can suffer life-shattering consequences. So many patients are left with life-threatening injuries due to the negligence of medical professionals and their inactions regarding monitoring and treating their conditions.
- Informed Consent: Countless patients go to hospitals and other medical facilities for treatment. In some cases, patients consent to specific surgeries but receive something entirely different. When patients do not receive the right surgery or treatment, they often deal with overwhelming mental and physical pain and suffering.
- Anesthesia Malpractice: When patients are not provided the correct dose of anesthesia for their procedure, the results can be catastrophic or even fatal. Patients who are given too little anesthesia can wake up during their procedure and experience pain and mental trauma. Those given too much medication can pass away from an overdose.
- Hospital Malpractice: Patients seek medical treatment daily in emergency rooms across Maryland. When they are not given timely and accurate treatment, they can experience life-threatening consequences.
- Post-Operative Infections: When patients do not receive adequate wound care after surgery, they can develop life-threatening infections. It is imperative that patients receive appropriate wound care after undergoing surgery and other procedures.
- Surgical Errors: When a patient has gauze and a surgical instrument left inside of their body during a surgical procedure, it can wreak havoc on their health and physical wellbeing. Some victims are forced to undergo further surgeries in order to remove the item or they can experience life-threatening infections.
Thousands of Maryland residents seek medical advice or the medical attention of doctors, nurses, or other medical professionals every day so that they can receive the treatment they need for their injuries and/or illnesses. When patients are subjected to medical malpractice, they should reach out to a Maryland medical negligence lawyer as soon as possible to explore legal options available to them.
Our team at The Malpractice Group is dedicated to helping patients recover the maximum amount of compensation to alleviate the financial burdens they face due to the reckless and negligent actions of medical professionals. Our team will review your medical records and work with forensics specialists and other experts to determine if you were a victim of medical malpractice. Our attorneys are dedicated to helping victims get the justice they deserve after painful and traumatic experiences.
If you were injured as a result of medical malpractice in Maryland, contact our medical malpractice attorneys at The Malpractice Group as soon as possible to explore legal options available for you.
Medical Malpractice Involving Newborns and Infants in Maryland
Although birth injuries and infant deaths can and do happen everywhere in the world, the United States takes the lead in the number of infant mortalities worldwide. We rank third in the number of postneonatal mortalities annually. Unfortunately, more than 28,000 babies suffer from debilitating birth injuries in the United States each year. Some of the most common conditions caused by birth injuries that our Maryland malpractice attorneys see are:
Periventricular Leukomalacia (PVL): This condition occurs as a result of damage to the brain’s white matter. This white matter surrounds the ventricles and, when damaged, it can lead to majorly serious consequences. In many cases, PVL is caused by a traumatic head injury that leads to bleeding on the brain, deprivation of oxygen, and as a result of an infection sustained by the baby during birth.
Intracranial Hemorrhages: Brain bleeds are often critical. These injuries are a common result of trauma to the head during birth, including oxygen deprivation. Numerous brain bleeds are caused by negligent medical practices, especially while misusing forceps, vacuum extractors, and other tools during delivery.
Infections: Babies who sustain infections from their mothers during the birthing process can suffer life-threatening consequences. Sepsis and meningitis are just two common infections babies sustain that can have a detrimental impact on their health and wellbeing.
Jaundice/Kernicterus: Jaundice is extremely common. Although it is regularly seen in infants after birth, it can quickly develop into life-threatening kernicterus if it is not treated appropriately and in a timely manner. Kernicterus can lead to brain damage with long-term impacts.
Developmental Delays: Babies who suffer injuries like Erb’s palsy, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, and other serious injuries often face overwhelming consequences. These injuries can have a detrimental impact on the mental, physical, and emotional development of children throughout their entire lives.
Seizures: When babies are subjected to traumatic injuries to the head, they can develop life-threatening seizure disorders. These injuries can be caused by oxygen deprivation at birth and other traumatic injuries caused by medical negligence.
Cerebral Palsy (CP): CP is a life-altering neurological condition consequent to the deprivation of oxygen to the brain. These injuries often require life-long treatment and leave babies with irreversible mental and physical impairments. CP can lead to problems with muscle development and movement, as well as developmental disorders.
Birth Asphyxia/Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE): HIE is a devastating consequence of oxygen deprivation. This condition can lead to developmental delays, seizure disorders, and various other life-threatening effects.
Many birth injuries are the direct result of negligent and reckless medical professionals. When doctors, nurses, and other providers fail to provide an acceptable standard of care to patients during the pregnancy, labor, or delivery process, it can cause injuries that will affect the child for the rest of his or her life. Some of the most commonly reported medical errors we see in Maryland include:
- The failure to monitor for signs of fetal distress
- The failure to respond to signs of fetal distress
- The misuse of Pitocin or Cytotec
- Not using forceps or vacuum extractors appropriately
- Mismanagement of problems surrounding the uterus, placenta, umbilical cord
- Not responding appropriately to abnormal fetal presentations
- Not taking adequate precautions in high-risk pregnancies
- Failure to properly treat a baby who has already suffered a birth injury
If your baby suffered a debilitating birth injury, and you believe it was caused by the negligent or reckless actions of a medical professional, it is crucial that you reach out to a medical malpractice attorney in Maryland as soon as possible. Families may be entitled to compensation to help reduce the burdens they face consequent to these horrific incidents.
The Burden of Proof in Medical Negligence Claims
It is critical that lawsuits surrounding cases of medical malpractice are filed within Maryland’s statute of limitations. In Maryland, patients have up to five years to file legal claims against negligent medical professionals. It is imperative to recognize that filing a legal claim as soon as possible can considerably help an injured patient be successful with their medical malpractice lawsuit. Waiting to file a claim can result in lost records and information, which can make it difficult for victims to assert their legal rights and get the justice they deserve. Aside from filing a claim as soon as possible, victims are better position to get justice while working with an aggressive medical malpractice lawyer that has a thorough understanding of the laws in Maryland. Legal claims surrounding medical malpractice are extremely complex. For this reason, it is imperative to retain the assistance of a skilled and knowledgeable legal team. The Malpractice Group has decades of experience handling the most complex and complicated legal claims in Maryland. We have the time, experience, and resources needed to be successful.
When pursuing a medical malpractice claim, victims must be able to prove their cases. Those harmed have to demonstrate that several elements of negligence occurred on behalf of negligent medical professionals. The burden of proof must truthfully demonstrate the following:
- A Doctor-Patient Relationship Existed: The patient must be able to prove that a doctor and patient relationship existed. They must be able to show that they received medical treatment from the defendant. Lawsuits surrounding medical malpractice are only applicable in circumstances where a plaintiff received medical treatment from the accused doctor, nurse, or medical professional subjected to the legal claim.
- Negligence Occurred: After proving that the defendant provided them care and treatment, they must prove that the medical professional acted negligently. Although each medical professional will have their own views on how to treat certain conditions and illnesses, it is imperative that they adhere to the acceptable standards of care. Medical professionals who deviate from acceptable care can cause life-altering consequences for victims. In many cases, attorneys will gather statements and testimony from other skilled medical providers to demonstrate what should be done in various circumstances.
- Negligence Caused the Injuries: After proving that negligence occurred, victims must then prove that the negligent actions performed by the medical professional directly caused them injuries. The plaintiff must clearly show that the actions that were taken by the doctor, nurse, or other medical providers directly caused or worsened their injuries or illnesses. Demonstrating that another form of treatment or route of care would have had an exceptionally different outcome is key. For example, patients who suffer from misdiagnosis can show that receiving the appropriate care could have helped their injuries or illnesses and stopped them from worsening.
- The Injury Caused Damages: Finally, patients must prove that the actions of the medical professionals caused them injuries that resulted in damages. In numerous cases, victims of medical malpractice are left to bear overwhelming mental suffering, physical pain, stacking medical bills, and various other damages. Proving that the damages were directly caused by the injuries is a victim’s best bet for recuperating full and fair compensation for their injuries and damages.
Without a doubt, the financial burdens victims face from medical malpractice are devastating. Not only do they negatively impact victims, but their families often suffer as a whole. For this reason, it is imperative that victims reach out to a reputable medical malpractice attorney in Maryland as soon as possible to protect their legal rights. Contact our team at The Malpractice Group as soon as possible to schedule a free case evaluation to explore legal options available for you.
Determining the Value of Your Malpractice Claim
After reaching out to a malpractice lawyer near you in Maryland, you may wonder how much your legal claim is worth. Determining the value of a medical malpractice lawsuit is not easy and there are various factors that must be taken into consideration before determining possible the value of the lawsuit.
In numerous cases, patients are able to obtain compensation for a variety of damages they sustain from their traumatic experiences. Some of the economic damages we at The Malpractice Group help victims obtain compensation for include:
- The costs of medical treatment
- The costs of long-term care facilities and therapy
- The costs of medication and medical devices
- Lost wages for doctor appointments
- Lost earnings for victims forced out of work indefinitely due to their injuries
- Household services
- Permanent disabilities
- Special damages
It is crucial to consider whether there are caps on non-economic damages recoverable for victims. In Maryland, victims are able to obtain up to $800,000 for non-economic damages they face resulting from medical malpractice. Cases filed by two or more surviving family members after a wrongful death due to medical malpractice are capped at $1 million. Some of the non-economic damages our team at The Malpractice Group help victims collect include compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society and companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Though there are caps on non-economic damages, there are no caps on economic damages victims sustain. It is imperative for victims to show true and accurate medical bills, wages and earning statements, and other records that clearly and concisely show the financial burdens that they face from their accidents. Our team strives to help those harmed maximize their recoveries, so they are in the best position imaginable to move forward from their traumatic experiences.
Without a doubt, medical malpractice is an extremely complex area of law. For this reason, it is crucial that victims work with a knowledgeable medical malpractice attorney in Maryland who knows how to navigate the legal system. Our team at The Malpractice Group takes our time to select reputable and competent trial lawyers with proven records. We wholeheartedly believe victims should be able to get justice and compensation for injuries and damages caused by reckless and negligent providers. Contact our law firm at your earliest convenience to see how we can help you.
The Malpractice Group Can Help You
Victims who are injured by negligent medical professionals are often overwhelmed with questions. Not only are they forced to endure mental and physical pain and suffering, but they often face stacking financial burdens as well. In many cases, victims are left with permanent impairments that force them out of work indefinitely, causing financial devastation for their entire families. When victims are harmed as a result of a medical professional’s careless, reckless, or negligent actions, it is crucial that they reach out to a dedicated medical malpractice lawyer in Maryland as soon as possible. Our knowledgeable attorneys strive to help victims of medical malpractice, and their loved ones, uncover the truth surrounding their traumatic experiences. We investigate incidents for victims to determine if they were injured as a result of medical malpractice, and we provide them with aggressive and trusted legal representation to ensure they get the justice they deserve from negligent medical professionals.
The Maryland medical negligence lawyers at The Malpractice Group of NAME work diligently to ensure victims of medical malpractice collect the maximum amount of compensation for their injuries and damages. Our medical negligence attorneys in Maryland recognize the difficulties victims and their families face. This is especially true when families are caring for newborns with birth injuries. During these trying times, victims only wish to be able to recover and move forward in the best way imaginable, both physically and mentally. For this reason, our team strives to help families maximize their recoveries so they can get the medical treatment they need to recover. Contact our law firm in Maryland today at (312) 561-4324 to see how our team can help you.