Experienced Attorneys Ready to Help You Get the Justice You Deserve
Birth is a highly anticipated moment in any expecting mother’s life. This process is particularly emotional for parents, regardless of whether it is their first child or fourth. Although parents take appropriate measures to ensure they are in the best physical, mental, and emotional state to make it through this process, they have no way to control how medical professionals are going to respond.
The majority of births occur without any problems. Many babies are delivered in labor and delivery rooms in hospitals selected by expecting mothers. When complications and other issues arise, the mother may be transferred to a delivery room equipped with additional medical equipment.
Unfortunately, there are various cases where delivery errors occur, causing devastating birth injuries. Newborns who suffer birth injuries due to delivery room errors often require life-long medical treatment. When babies or expecting mothers are injured due to the negligence of delivery room doctors, it is essential to reach out to a medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible to explore available legal options available.
Common Delivery Room Errors
Although there are many reasons why newborns can experience breathing difficulties and other challenges after birth, far too many innocent babies are improperly birthed and left with life-altering injuries. We at The Malpractice Group help families protect their legal rights after births result in devastating injuries. Some of the most common delivery room errors our medical malpractice attorneys have assisted families to receive justice for include the following birth injuries:
- Brain Injuries: Using forceps improperly can lead to life-threatening brain injuries. Common brain injuries associated with forceps assisted births include cerebral hypoxia and cerebral palsy.
- Nerve Damage: When the birth process is rushed, babies can suffer debilitating nerve damage. Injuries like Erb’s palsy occur when the nerves in the upper arm and neck are damaged. When babies are dislodged in the pelvic bone during birth, it can lead to shoulder dystocia.
- Botched C-Sections: Surgical mistakes and improper fetal monitoring can lead to an array of birth injuries and complications. Although babies are at risk of suffering lacerations during birth as well as broken bones or oxygen deprivation, mothers are also at risk. In some cases, mothers are left with devastating injuries due to having bowels or other internal organs lacerated or improper wound closures.
- Untreated Jaundice: Babies who are born with jaundice are at risk of suffering hearing loss, permanent upward gaze, dental problems, and uncontrolled movements. Due to the risks associated with jaundice, it is crucial to treat and monitor the condition immediately. When medical professionals fail to detect, monitor, and treat jaundice, it can lead to permanent damages to the baby.
- Injuries to the Mother: Although birth injuries often refer to those suffered by newborns, there are innumerable cases of women who suffer health problems as a result of improper monitoring and medical treatment. Mothers who suffer preeclampsia complications, medication errors, hematomas, or other medical damages may have legal options available to them.
In other cases, babies are left with long-term issues, disfigurements, and other injuries that cause difficulties and challenges, often requiring medical treatment for life. When babies or mothers are injured, it is crucial that they reach out to a medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible to get the justice they deserve.
Severe Cases Require Lifelong Medical Care
There are instances where newborns have difficulties breathing. In severe cases, newborns may require intubation to oxygenate their lungs. Prior to intubating a newborn, the neonatologist will need to assess the patient to determine the correct tube size. If the tube is not appropriately sized, it can deprive the baby of the oxygen it desperately needs. Going too long without adequate oxygen can result in brain damage.
Although monitors are used to keep the physicians informed regarding the amount of oxygen the baby is receiving, there are instances where doctors and nurses fail to monitor the oxygen amount after the tube is placed. Once a baby is transferred to the nursery, the irreversible damage is done and it is too late.
Another delivery room error that causes severe injuries involves instances where obstetrical staff members fail to recognize or ignore the fact that a c-section or an alternative method is necessary for birth. The failure to recognize when a baby is not going to be delivered vaginally can lead to the baby getting stuck in the birth canal and causing severe life-long nerve and muscle damages as well as other disastrous injuries.
As you would expect, premature babies are at increased risks of suffering debilitating injuries. When obstetricians and nurses fail to staff the delivery appropriately, it can lead to serious complications and injuries. Babies, especially newborns, require a particular level of care. This is particularly true when babies are born with respiratory problems. Not only is it important to have the right number of professionals available after birth, but they need to be adequately trained. Unfortunately, improper training and negligence are common causes of birth injuries caused by delivery room errors.
If your baby suffered a birth injury due to delivery room errors, contact our law firm as soon as possible.
The Malpractice Group Can Help You
Meeting the burden of proof required for a successful delivery room error lawsuit is exceptionally challenging. For this reason, victims need to reach out to a skilled and knowledgeable attorney who can help them protect their legal rights and get the justice they deserve. Our team at The Malpractice Group is dedicated to helping victims, and families, hold wrongdoers accountable.
Our attorneys understand how to get answers to some of the most challenging questions victims and families have. Our team has earned a reputation for providing aggressive and vigorous representation to victims while combating even some of the most thorough and challenging legal arguments presented by doctors, nurses, and other delivery room medical professionals. Our attorneys have solid legal skills in litigating birth injury claims and an impressive record of successful outcomes to prove it. Those injured can rest assured knowing their legal rights and best interests are protected with us. Contact The Malpractice Group today by calling(312) 561-4324 at your earliest convenience to schedule a free case evaluation.